In our public engagement training course, we share practical tools and strategies informed by educational research and over 20 years’ experience to help you feel confident and well-equipped to engage with diverse audiences and communicate your work through hands-on STEM learning experiences.
Who is the training for?
These courses are designed to support anyone who:
- Is interested in public engagement but unsure where to start.
- Has some experience with public engagement but would like to expand their toolkit of knowledge and practical strategies.
- Is looking to practise their public engagement skills in a safe and supportive setting.
What can you expect from our training course?
Unlike other public engagement courses available, Glasgow Science Centre’s two-part course is unique in providing a public engagement opportunity post-training to help you put learning into practise.
Part 1: Full Day Training Course
Built on modern theories of learning and Glasgow Science Centre’s Inspire & Challenge Philosophy, the full-day course covers topics including:
- Understanding your audience
- Essential elements of engagement
- How to communicate effectively to diverse audiences
- How to facilitate public engagement activities effectively and safely
- Modern theories of learning
This part of the course is delivered in person using a dynamic and interactive approach that includes opportunities to; discuss and brainstorm ideas, observe engagement in action by our own experienced science communicators and take part in some of our own public engagement activities.
If you’re unable to participate in person due to location, please get in touch about other digital and outreach training packages we can offer.
Part 2: Learning into Action
We’ll then work with you to identify a public engagement opportunity for you to participate in including in-person, digital and print options. We will also support you with development including content and risk assessments.
This will provide additional training opportunities for early career researchers and continuing professional development for staff with more experience.
What will I learn?
By the end of this two-part training, you will have:
- Knowledge of modern theories of learning and understand how to incorporate them into your public engagement.
- Practical tools and strategies for creating engaging experiences and evaluating your success.
- Understanding of how to pitch your work to diverse audiences.
- Experience of delivering a public engagement activity to an audience.
Standard full course is £250 per person. Discounts apply for group bookings of 12+ people.
Lunch, refreshments and all course materials are included.